So, what just happened?
- The UK has made up its mind and decided to Leave the EU – with 51.9% of the vote, 48.1% of the public wanting to Remain
- The British Prime Minister has said that he will leave Downing Street by October, 2016
- The UK is being pulled in a few different directions:
- The Scots voted overwhelmingly to Remain, and are now sniffing a second Scottish referendum vote
- Northern Ireland also voted to Remain
- England and Wales both voted to Leave
- Global stock markets, the value of the pound all dropped, as did other currencies
In among the turmoil, Google revealed the second most popular and trending question on the EU was “What is the EU?” What the heck?!?!? Anyway with that in mind, i had a look around and found 3 really simple but informative infographics – What is the EU?
1. What is the EU – Get To Know the EU
This infographic by the Delegation of the European Union to the US nicely summarises 5 Things you need to know about the EU:
2. What is the EU – ABC of the European Institutions
The thing that confuses me about the EU are the different institutions and what they all do- the European Parliament, the European Commission, the Council of the European Union and the European Council. The following infographic nicely explains the various seats of power and what they do:
3. What is the EU – What does the European Commission Do?
So now that we know a bit about the EU, the different institutions, we ought to know what they do. This next infographic gives a nice little recap of the 10 priorities of the European Commission:
[EPSB] Thanks for stopping by – Take a look around…!![/EPSB]
Hope that helps!