It’s that time of the year where payment folks are thinking about Sibos – the annual SWIFT conference, which this year is in Toronto. If you check out the Sibos website – the recurring message is that “Sibos is the worlds premier financial services event“. It is running from 16-19th October, all the major banks, industry influencers, technology providers and large corporate customers are there – last year there just over 8000 attendees in Geneva. Its a big deal.
In this post i thought i would look at the proposed agenda and highlight some of the more interesting sessions (for corporates) from the conference programme, and highlight that some other interesting events are happening at around the same time….
Other Financial Services Events:
- AFP – San Diego: 15-18th October
- A treasury and finance professional conference with around 6500 attendees
- Looking at the program, this looks like it delves into some of the key issues/best practices/technology shifts from a corporate perspective
- And its in California!!!
- Swell – Toronto: 16-18th October
- A Ripple conference in Toronto at the same time as Sibos – This is going to get messy!
- These guys are stirring things up – its an invitation only event titled “Swell – The future is here” with speakers including Former Federal Reserve chairman Bernanke and World Wide Web inventor Berners-Lee – further details to come
- Sibos – Toronto: 16-19th October
- See further details below
Key Sibos Sessions for Corporates:
Sibos – Monday 16th October:
- 0930 – 1030 - What does the future hold for banks – evolution or extinction?
- This will be an interesting start to Sibos!
- 1000 – 1045 - The Future of Transaction Banking – Moving into the Digital Age
- The blurb talks a lot about blockchain – should be worth a listen
- 1100 – 1200 – Sibos Opening Plenary
- Let’s hear what the SWIFT folks make of it all
- 1230 – 1330 - Lunch & Learn: FinTech – Innovative Banking
- Will they provide lunch too… ?
- 1400 – 1500 - Cybersecurity and Digitization: the art of securing the digital enterprise
- As we go digital, what do we need to know about cybersecurity
- 1530 – 1615 - The Impending Technological Revolution in FinTech and Artificial Intelligence – Are You Ready?
- Fintech, AI – this is got to be a hot one!
- 1645 – 1730 - Discover SWIFT gpi’s innovative features
- Let’s get a SWIFT GPI update…
Sibos – Tuesday 17th October:
- 0930 – 1030 - API in financial services: the key to the future?
- I wanna get the API lowdown
- 1230 – 1330 - The evolving payments ecosystem – a SWOT analysis from a European perspective
- Payments, Europe that’s my isht
- 1400 – 1450 – Global Payments Transformation
- Sounds like this session will make sense all of the factors that are driving payment transformation, with a focus on standards – hmmm
- 1415 – 1445 – A practical guide to SWIFT security attestation
- 1530 – 1630 - Blockchain and payments: Lessons learnt and future prospects
- Blockchain and payments, whats happened and where is it all going…?
- 1645 – 1730 - Not all that Glitters is Gold: Avoiding Fear-Based Technology Decisions
- Step back and see the bigger picture session – dunno why, but it sounds like an interesting presentation
Sibos – Wednesday 18th October: (Corporate focus)
- 0900 – 0945 - Tapping into Academic Research in Today’s Turbulent World
- Might check this out for a bit and then head into…
- 0930 – 1030 - The state of global treasury – untangling the knots
- Key issues facing corporate Treasury teams
- 1100 – 1200 – The Future of Money
- The focus is on Data
- 1300 – 1345 - The new frontier of digitisation in global Corporate treasury
- Corporate treasury innovation
- 1400 – 1500 - Corporate perspectives – bridging the gap with banks
- From a corporate perspective, what should the banks focus on to remain relevant
- 1530 – 1630 - What’s next on the wish list of the corporate treasurer for global payments innovation?
- Discussion around corporate pain-points
- 1700 – 1730 - SWIFT ISAC: See how you can benefit from SWIFT’s cyber information sharing platform
- If your organisation is part of ISAC, this might be worth a look
Sibos – Thursday 19th October: (Corporate focus)
- 0930 – 1030 - Does Blockchain technology alleviate security concerns or create new challenges?
- Blockchain and security – what does it all mean?
- 1000 – 1100 - How do global corporates expect to experience gpi from their banks? From corporate endorsement to gpi enlightenment
- SWIFT have been talking a lot about GPI, what does it mean for corporates. Let’s find out…
- 1200 – 1230 – APIs for Beginners
- APIs – Getting back to basics
- 1230 – 1330 - Payments system design in developing markets: How are developing markets driving inclusion and modernisation?
- This sounds fascinating
- 1300 – 1345 - SWIFT for Corporates – Cutting through the complexity of multi-banking
- Hear from multi-banked corporates about their Treasury complexities
- 1400 – 1500 - Operation transformation in technology for multi-banked corporates
- Key trends and how banks and corporates can collaborate
- 1600 – 1700 – Closing Plenary
- Speaker to be confirmed…
Are you going to Sibos, or any of the other above listed events – if so, what are you looking forward to…?